(1) Describe the concept of a “socio-linguistic variable” and “hypercorrection” using the distribution of [r] vs. [a] in Labov’s New York City department store study, and Labov’s study of the distribution of [r] vs. [a] in style-sifting. In doing so, be sure to clearly define the concepts and cite actual data provided.
(2) Use the data on the verb “keep” to explain the concept of a “semantic schema/template” and “polysemy.” Then, explain how “conceptual metaphor” also plays a role in creating polysemy. Be sure to refer to this specific data set and examples.
(7) Using examples from the book and the Human Language Series DVD (part 2) explain in clear terms the basic idea behind Noam Chomsky’s idea of “Universal Grammar.” Give two examples of the reasoning used to support his idea.
(8) Using clear examples, explain the concepts of “parsing” and “garden path sentence,” and how they give us insight into the process of reading comprehension. In doing so, be sure to include an explanation of how the “surface” of the sentence is different from the “underlying/hidden” syntactic relations.
(9) Explain why the simplistic notion of noun as “person, place, thing or abstract idea,” or verb as “action word is inaccurate and misleading, What is a more accurate way to characterize and identify the class of nouns and verbs?
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more